Tech’s PV systems group is working to establish ties with industry and other research centers. These groups financially support Tech’s PV systems research and also assist in determining research directions. In return, they directly benefit from the research done by the PV systems group.
Current activities of the Center in this area include:
- Monitoring of the Georgia Tech Aquatic Center Photovoltaic Array and the Georgia Tech SAC Canopy AC array in order to:
- Evaluate design practices used in these systems
- Compare AC and DC array configurations
- Validate and improve upon PV systems computer modeling tools
- Comparisons of PV system modeling programs to determine areas of need
- Study of the role PV might play in utility power systems
- Study of PV-related power electronics in order to:
- Aid in the development of module-integrated power electronics
- Fully understand interactions between PV and utility systems and resolve related
problems (i.e. islanding)
- Improve PV battery charging techniques and converters
- Promote public awareness of PV technology and its capabilities.